Taylor Mackenzie Shapiro!!
Born 5.15.09 at 5:42 pm
6lbs 18 3/4 inches long
Born 5.15.09 at 5:42 pm
6lbs 18 3/4 inches long
We had our precious little peanut early. I was totally not ready and in complete shock. Here is her birth story.
I have been going to MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) for weekly NST (non-stress tests). I had an appointment last Wednesday and our little girl wasn't cooperating like she should have. Her heartbeat was descending a few times and they didn't see the acceleration with her heart rate like they wanted, so they sent me to get an ultrasound to make sure that everything was okay. During the ultrasound they noticed that the cord was wrapped around her neck. They said that everything else looked good but that they wanted to start monitoring me twice a week instead of just once. I was super nervous about the cord being around her neck, but they told me to just make sure that I feel her move and if I don't to come back. Thankfully I she was moving around like crazy, but I was still freaking out.
My next NST was on Friday at 8:45 am, so I didn't have to wait long for them to be able to monitor her and make sure everything was still fine. I also had an appointment with my OB that morning at 9:30 am, which was a pre-op appointment to go over everything about my c-section that was scheduled for the 23rd. My mom was meeting me there because Jesse had to work. During my NST Friday morning little miss Taylor wasn't cooperating very well again, so I got to get another ultrasound. My mom got to go to the ultrasound with me which was comforting. During the Ultrasound they told us that the cord was no longer around her neck, which was such a relief. But they did tell us that they were concerned that when she is moving around that her heart beats weren't accelerating and that she wasn't gaining weight like she should be, they said that she was measuring about 5lbs 14 ounces. I had told the DR that I had a c-section scheduled for the following Saturday. She said that she was going to call my DR and talk to her about the ultrasound and NST, because she thought that we shouldn't wait until next Saturday to have the baby, she thought that we needed to get her out either today or the following day.
When the DR left the room my mom and I were kind of freaking out that the baby was going to be coming either today or the next. I was thinking I don't have anything ready, what is Jesse going to say?, is she ready to come out?. I was a nervous wreck. My mom and I then headed over to my OB to talk about when the baby should come or what day works best for her schedule. My DR had the weekend off and thought that we should either do the c-section today or wait until Monday. The DR at MFM didn't think we should wait until Monday and since I had only had a breakfast shake at 8 am that morning that Friday would be the best day. My DR told us that the operating room had an opening at 5pm and we needed to check in at 3pm. By this time it was around 11:45 am and all I was thinking was I only have 3 hours to get everything ready.
I called Jesse and said "It looks like we are having a baby today", he said "SHUT-UP!!" We both were freaking out a little and then he said he would be home in an hour. Jordan was at my in-laws and I called them to ask if she could stay there until after we have the baby and then she would spend the night with my mom. My mom and I left the DR's office and headed to Target. I needed to pick up a few things for myself and I thought maybe a few more newborn outfits since I knew how small she was going to be. After leaving Target we headed over to my in-laws to drop off their car seat and so I could see Jordan. She was so excited to see me and my mom. I tried to explain to her that the next time she saw me that her baby sister Taylor was going to be there too. She was so excited and couldn't wait to meet her. After that we headed home to get my bags packed and the house ready.
I still hadn't brought in the bassinet or packed a bag for myself. I was frantically running around the house throwing things in the wash and in my bags. Jesse comes home and what does he do? He starts sweeping out the garage, I think he was in denial :) I yelled at him to get his stuff together!! Finally we were in the car on our way to the hospital. They admitted me into triage to get prepped for the c-section. I was a basket case by this point. I was super nervous for my IV and the spinal tap. The nurse that was with us was great and super nice. I had a million and one questions and she answered them all without seeming annoyed. My IV went great, but after she put it in I thought I was going to throw up and pass out, nothing new for me. Then our anastigiologist came in to talk to me about the spinal, the side effects and what was going to happen. I have to tell you that when he walked in I was thinking Doogie Houser, the guy looked like he was 12. I asked him how long had he been doing this and he said 3 years but spinal taps 7 weeks. He said that he could get someone else to do it and I said that he was fine. Which he was great, he told me what he was doing the whole time and was very reassuring and nice.
Finally it was time and my mom, Jesse and I headed to the OR. Everything went really fast after that. Before I knew it I was sky high on drugs and feeling no pain. At one point the anastigiologist asked me if I felt that and I said "no" and he said "good because what they just did would really hurt". I thought oh great why did he just say that. I closed my eyes and just waited to hear my baby cry. They struggled a little bit to get her out because she was so far down and a little wedged in that they had to use the vacuum on her head to get her out. They were pushing so hard on my stomach with their elbows, thankfully I couldn't fee a thing. Finally they said here she comes and they opened up the little sky light that I had and I could see her tiny face for a minute and then she was swept away to be cleaned off. She was screaming from the time they pulled her out. She was the tiniest, cutest little thing I had ever seen. I thought she looked so much like Jordan. I just cried and watched as they cleaned her up and weighed and measured her. I was happy that she weighed 6 lbs, more then what they thought she was going to weigh. And I was so glad that she was healthy and didn't need to go to the NICU. Once Jesse started talking to her she calmed down and stopped crying.
Then they wheeled me back to my room where my Grandparents (Dick and Peggy), my Dad Don and my Step-dad Dick were waiting for us. Of course they wheeled me back faster then Jesse could walk so Taylor screamed the whole way down the hall until she saw me :) About 15 minutes after we got settled in the room Jesse's parents Rick and Gail came with Jordan. Jordan was so excited to see her little sister. She didn't really like seeing me in the hospital bed and gown but was happy to see us.

Jesse and I getting ready to head to the OR.

Almost time to meet our little angel!

She weighed 6lbs even, just a little peanut.

Proud Daddy!

Proud Momma, when Jesse brought her over to me and I started talking to her she opened her eyes, so precious.
Wide eyed and ready to meet everyone.Heading home

Sleepy girl
So precious!!


3 generations, my mom Kathy, Jordan, me, Taylor and my Grandma Peggy.



9 comments:
I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes! I'm so happy for you and your beautiful family! She is so precious and I can't wait to come over and hold her again!! Congratulations Nat! I'm so happy for you! You're so blessed and so deserving!!!! Love you! xoxo
Welcome to the world baby Taylor!!!!
way to go! it is so nice to know that even though it was not what you expected or planned it worked out wonderfully.
she really is beautiful.
congrats to you all.
Oh Nat that's quite the story! My favorite part is that Jesse started sweeping out the garage while you were frantically getting ready! Such a guy move! I'm happy for you guys and am glad Taylor is such a healthy baby! I'll be calling you to find out when Dylan and I can come visit and bring you lunch or something. Lots of love!
OMG, I could just cry! I'm so happy for you and that everyone is healthy and thriving. You and Jesse are wonderful parents.
Oh Nat!! Congratulations! Taylor is just beautiful and perfect. what a great story, thanks for sharing.
Congrats to you and your beautiful family Natalie! Thank you for sharing your story. Taylor is absolutely precious.
What a crazy story! I still can't believe that our babies were concived at the same time, transfered at the same time, we had the same due date, same Dr. and delivered within 48 hours of each other. It's just too weird! Maybe Jackson and Taylor have a future! Thanks for sharing everything, looking forward to meeting her!
Congratulations! You have such a beautiful family and I'm SO glad Taylor is healthy. What a crazy day you had! Jordan looks so happy to be a big sister. Congrats again!
Post a Comment